That's right. I said it.
Although I'm not sure I really hate movies. But I am feeling a little worn out by the constant filmgoing since I moved to New York in 1997. Perhaps this is merely a phase I'm going through. Perhaps I'll wake up tomorrow and be ready for a double feature. I'm going to see if my upcoming spring break helps me reaquaint myself with the joys of moviegoing.
So since I'm Listmaker, I need to think this through with a list.
Thus, here are a few reasons I'm sick of movies right now.
1. The DVR fills my need for movies with a constant stream of excellent options to record. Recently, I have enjoyed The Lavender Hill Mob, Bad Day at Black Rock, and many a film noir. I've got Wages of Fear, The Great Dictator, and Intruder in the Dustin the queue. Plus I'm watching more and more TV because of the DVR and I feel the need to stay at home and clear the DVR.
2. I hate having to sit next to a bunch of loud, rude people during movies. I'm more comfortable at home. The closer I get to a large screen TV, the farther I get from wanting to see so many films in the theaters.
3. I'm getting lazy and don't feel like making the effort as often to go see a film.
4. I've been disappointed by the three (count them, only three!) 2005 films I've seen thus far. Granted, two of the three were pretty good but all three (Turtles Can Fly, Nobody Knows, and Head-On) were kind of downers. Maybe I just haven't been in the mood for these kinds of films recently.
5. There have already been a number of movies that I've wanted to see in the past couple of months that I missed. And I realized something pretty monumental- I survived.
But I'll see how I feel after two weeks off- I might be ready to become a steady filmgoer again. And if that happens, I'll have plenty of movies to see to start catching up to the pace of the past seven years. Although if going to see downbeat movies has been what has been causing my recent movie malaise, I'm not sure that the next film I plan on seeing is going to make me fall in love with cinema again.
But the bottom line is that maybe everybody has been wrong in the recent blog wars, maybe I'M the real hater.
Hide and Seek
2 days ago