The due date for signing my contract is this Monday. I've been told by Red Pants that starting on that day, they will begin looking to replace me. However, if they find someone they like, I will be given one last chance to decide. Ideally, I'd have until after the upcoming spring break to decide. But it looks like I won't be given that option.
I could just sign the contract and break it later but I refuse to do that even though many people do that. I just don't play by those rules.
So I'm completely confused. I have found out that percentage-wise, I did receive the largest raise in the entire school. I now am close to what I should be getting paid. Red Pants will not negotiate but the amazing L.S. Director said that he will do everything in his power to give me a big raise again next spring once we have a new Head. I began this year ready to leave but things have really turned around under the leadership of Mondale's countryman.
Still, I am feeling the itch to leave. I'm probably just using this money issue as an excuse to do what is probably the best thing for me. As one colleague asked me, "Do you really want to be a private school teacher your whole career? Part of that good 'ol boy network?" And the answer is no. If I don't leave this year, will it become increasingly easier to stay, especially if the incoming Head gives me another big raise next year?
I can always leave and then come back. If I don't leave, I'll always be thinking "What If?"
But that doesn't mean, I have to leave this year. I really love the people I work with. I'm happy. Why fuck with it? I'm not guaranteed a job at a good public school. What if end up miserable next year?
By saying that I'm not ready for an extension, I might have bought myself until Tuesday. Or maybe later. Who knows?
All I know is that tonight is the school auction and I plan on getting toasted.
Phillies 9 Mets 4
1 week ago