So I've been on many interviews over the past week. I have another one tomorrow. I am giving a demo lesson in a couple of weeks for a school in the East Village that I really am impressed with but by no means is a job offer guaranteed. I'll write about all of that later. But tonight I have yet another decision.
Last Friday, I was told that my position had finally been filled and that I was out of a job. As much as I think I am doing the right thing to leave now, this left me feeling quite upset. Of course, I'm worried that I won't end up with a good job in September. It is an odd feeling knowing that I'm unemployed as of 9/1.
Plus, it is going to be very difficult to leave the school that I like so much. From the beginning, I've thought that I want to end up in a public school but it doesn't necessarily have to be right now. It could be a year from now. I have figured out a little of this whole public school job search process and could do it again next year if need be. But it hasn't just been philosophical reasons or a new challenge that has driven me to this point. It is the fact that I have been majorly underpaid over the years. As previously written, the school did give me a big percentage raise but it wasn't enough in my opinion in dollar amount in comparison to others.
Today, the other teacher on my team who I will call "Please God I'd Rather Be a Nutritionist Than a Teacher" told the school that despite signing her contract six weeks ago, she was not going to come back next year.
So now there is a position again thus opening up one more opportunity. I can go to Red Pants and give him a dollar figure. I'll tell him my accomplishments and tell him that I've been underpaid and that I will think about staying if he matches my offer. Earlier today, I thought that the worst case scenario is that he says no and then is an asshole to me for the next couple of months.
But now I realize that the worse case scenario is that he acquiesces to my demands. Then what? I don't do the demo lesson in a couple of weeks? I stay even though I have been gearing up to leave? Do my mixed feelings about leaving a place I like so much coupled with my fear of not getting a good job plus maybe getting a huge fucking raise because of my negotiating tactics enough reason to stay?
So .. should I request a meeting with Red Pants or not? If you haven't tired of this whole Listmaker drama, please drop a line in this space. And quick!
3 days ago