1. First it was the National Anthem before a playoff game last week.
2. Then it was an appearance on Morning Joe on Monday. Dave excitedly texted me updates in the morning about it.
3. He followed that up with an appearance with The Roots on Jimmy Fallon last night.
4. And let's not forget he has a new album of Stax covers out next week. I can't believe how much I like it - much better than his last album of covers - 1994's Four Chords and Several Years Ago.
Hell, it's probably his best album since Fore! It's definitely a stone groove.
5. But best of all, I ran into him at the Nick Lowe show on Sunday night. I couldn't believe it. He was in front of me in line. I figured out who he was immediately and said to Dave, "Huey Lewis is in front of us." Dave didn't believe me. And then he heard his voice and immediately knew. Huey!
I tapped Huey on the shoulder and said, "Huey, congratulations on the Giants making it to the World Series." His face lit up and he became visibly excited. I reminded him about the tribute show and he said he remembered. Who cares if he really did or not. It was Huey! The man can do no wrong.
I kept hoping he'd jump up on stage with Lowe and perform. Hell, he's got to always have his harmonica on him, right? But when I Knew the Bride When She Used to Rock & Roll started and Huey was nowhere to be found, my dreams were dashed.
After the show, Dave suggested I request the guest list as a souvenir but I was too shy. Great idea, lousy execution.
No matter, I saw a great Nick Lowe show and talked to my childhood idol for a minute. Huey!
3 days ago